Steven M. Rumery, Ph.D. (aka “Rum”) is a Director at the Leadership Research Institute (LRI) who specializes in developing the credibility and impact of leaders and organizations through executive coaching, research and consulting. Steve has experience working with Fortune 500 companies across industries.
Within LRI, Steve manages the firm’s research office and leads the Discovery Team, a global community of scientist/practitioners dedicated to facilitating the discovery of insights into leadership and organizational effectiveness. The Discovery Team, in partnership with the larger LRI firm, has decades of experience managing large-scale, high impact organizational surveys and multi-rater assessments, such as employee engagement surveys and 360-degree feedback assessments. The team also specializes in designing and administering customized assessments for clients that meet or exceed industry standards for reliability and validity.
Steve works with all levels of leaders in his client organizations to conduct high impact organizational research and consulting. Through the use of rigorous and defensible methods, his work provides a clear and objective point-of-view on the difficult and complex issues facing his clients. Steve’s research and consulting expertise spans the employee lifecycle, from the selection and on-boarding of top talent, to the coaching and development of leaders, to the optimization of employee engagement, retention and culture.
Steve’s areas of expertise include:
- Organizational Research: partnering with clients to identify research questions critical to the business; defining and operationalizing relevant measures; leveraging existing data sets within clients.
- Assessment Design: creating new assessments or adapt existing assessments to match the needs of clients; conducting analyses to document the reliability and validity of assessments.
- Big Data and Predictive Modeling: unleashing the power of people-related data in organizations; designing statistical models to predict future outcomes of interest to organizations, such as the retention rates of top talent.
- Executive Coaching: developing the credibility of leaders through assessment and coaching conversations; specialize with managers who are gifted technically but who struggle with the role of managing people.
His services include:
- Multi-Rater Feedback (360-degree feedback): designing and administering tailored 360-degree feedback surveys for clients.
- Surveys: designing and administering employee engagement and customer surveys, analyze the results and advise clients on how to take action.
- Research Services: measuring the impact of training or other initiatives; benchmarking consultation; comment analysis; linkage research and predictive analytics.
- Talent Assessment: administering LRI assessments such as the Leader Capabilities Inventory (LCI), the Accelerator and the Leadership Role Analyzer (LRA).
Steve has experience working with Fortune 500 companies across industries, including banking, investment management, private equity, mass media and pharmaceutical organizations.
Steve has authored numerous professional reports, conference papers and presentations over his career. Recently, Steve wrote a report on global leadership entitled “Leading in a Worldwide Market,” which summarized the results from a recent survey of nearly 2,000 managers and training professionals globally and that was conducted by Leadership Research Institute and a consortium of leading training and development companies including the American Management Association (AMA), the American Society of Training and Development (ASTD), FranklinCovey®, The Ken Blanchard Companies and Marshall Goldsmith.
Steve holds a Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from the University of Connecticut. He is a member of the Society of Industrial & Organizational Psychologists (SIOP) and the International Association of Applied Psychology (IAAP).
When his schedule allows, Steve lectures at the graduate level on topics related to leadership and organizational effectiveness, and he takes an active role in identifying and mentoring bright talent early in their careers. Steve is also an active supporter and contributor to many non-profit and charity organizations, including the United Way. Steve resides in Connecticut with his wife and three children.